Monday, May 6, 2013

Training Summary - Week 1

My goal for the first week was to do everything I could to complete all the training hours on the days they were scheduled. I wanted to set the tone for the next 12 weeks.

For me to do this meant I had to plan ahead and be disciplined. Each evening, I set the coffee maker to start brewing at 4:45. I packed my computer for work, put out both my workout and regular cloths, filled water bottles, and set multiple alarms on my phone to ensure that I would get up early. ( 4:30 - 5:30 depending on the day )

Monday and Tuesday went well. On Tuesday, the training plan called for a 20 minute time trial at 100% effort. This test will be used as a base line. I chose to do the service road at Horsetooth Mountain Park. I'm pleased to report that I had a personal best of 17:59 on this hill climb. This was much faster than I had ever done the hill before, and therefor was a great confirmation that my training is paying off, and a motivator for the next 12 weeks.

Unfortunately after Tuesday the weather conspired to shut down my training. But I would have none of it. I spent about 4 hours on a spin bike in the gym Wednesday and Thursday. Friday, things had dried out enough that I was able to get a road ride in.

The plan specified 7 hours of mountain biking over the weekend, but the trails were way too wet and snowy for that. I was planning to ride my road bike instead, but the bottom bracket on my road bike was in desperate need of service. It was creaking so bad that riding it for an hour was intolerable, so seven hours was out of the question. I took it to the shop first thing Sat morning, but they were unable to work on it until Monday.

So I quickly packed the car with food, gear and my mountain bike and headed to Fruita CO, where it was dry and the temperature was 80 degrees. I made great time and was able to ride from 4:00 to 8:00. I road most of the next day as well, and made it back home around 11:00pm, just in time to start week number 2.


Here is the training summary for the week. I didn't quite do all the training hours, but it was close. My Friday recovery ride was about a half hour short, and I missed the Sunday strength workout because I was driving home from Fruita.

Planned Training Hours: 17:45
Actual Training Hours: 17.19


Below are some pictures of Fruita.



Colorado River from the Horse thief Bench trail.


If you look carefully, you can see that there is a house built into this rock outcropping. 
I have ridden past this many times and never noticed before.




No comments:

Post a Comment