Sunday, June 23, 2013

Training Summary - Week 8

This concludes week 8 of the training plan, 4 more to go. 

I have been mostly mountain biking up to this point. I'm getting bored riding all the same trails, so this week I decided I would mostly ride the road bike, and arranged to do a 100 mile ride with my friend Ron on Saturday. We did the Copper Triangle, a route that goes from Copper Mountain, to Leadville, Minturn, and back to Copper. We extended it by starting and ending in Frisco, which makes it the Copper Lollipop.

The big, and not so good news of the week, is that during the above ride, which was not that long or difficult relative to the other rides I have been doing lately, I developed some significant soreness in my left IT band. The soreness is continuing off the bike, and is the first significant issue I have had with my IT band since I had surgery to correct the problem over 7 years ago. Obviously the timing of this is not good, and I need to make it go away very quickly. I'm starting some IT specific stretches and I'll probably try to get a steroid shot early this week. I'm crossing my fingers.

This coming week is the largest planned training volume of the program at 28 hours, 18 of which will be during a long overnight next weekend. I'm still figuring out where to go. These overnights are difficult to plan because I have to end up back at the car at some point.



Ron, always texting

View heading up Fremont Pass

Bridge near Minturn

No comments:

Post a Comment