Sunday, June 9, 2013

Training Summary - Week 6

I have to admit that after last weekend, as good as it was, I found myself high in fatigue and low in motivation. I started asking myself why I must choose goals for myself that are ridiculously hard, and considered changing my goal to set the world record for most pounds of Cheetos consumed in a single day. OK, enough whining!

The above, combined with a big software release at work, resulted in my first training week where I really missed workouts, and didn't get the hours in. I did finish the week out with a strong weekend, but ended about 5 hours short. Next week I'm in Orlando all week for a trade show, so next week will be even more difficult.



It has been two weeks since I attempted to ride Fall River Road in RMNP. I attempted it again today, and except for a couple of snow fields at the top, it was rideable. So I rode it twice.

The second time, I locked my bike to a very secure, sun bleached road marker pole, and walked the final snow field to the plowed road near the top to the visitor's center. ( Both shown below ) After a snack, I did some obligatory hiking around the soaking wet alpine tundra for an hour or so.

As I headed back past the visitor center towards the snow field, a conscientious park employee pointed out to me that there was a sign that said "No pedestrians or bikes beyond this point". I may have snapped at him a bit when I said "THAT'S THE WAY I CAME UP, AND MY $7000 MOUNTAIN BIKE IS ACROSS THE SNOW FIELD, AND THERE WAS NO SIGN ON THE WAY UP SAYING THAT I CAN'T GO BACK". Apparently my argument was compelling since no park rangers arrived to arrest me.

Alpine Visitor's Center

I walked the final snowfield to the visitor center. The visitor center is just out of view on the other side of the snow field.



No comments:

Post a Comment